Monday, July 6, 2009

Collage for a Friend

I made this collage for an old friend, Sara Jane. We lived close to each other and became best friends when I lived in Tampa. I began to date her former boyfriend, (they had just broken up) and I really shouldn't have! Then I had to move away to Atlanta when my Dad was transferred. Of course the relationship with the guy dissolved as most long distance relationships do, especially at that age........and I hadn't seen or spoken to Sara Jane since then. It had been around 34 yrs or so since I have talked to her. I remember recently telling my sister Molly about how I thought about her and wondered how she was, where she was and that I always had felt terrible about the way the friendship ended, and had even tried to find her on Facebook with no luck. A few weeks went by and one day I opened my email and saw an email to me titled "From Sara Jane"!!!!! She had found me on Classmates.com and was emailing me to get back in touch!!!! She left her number and I called her back. She wasn't home at the time but I talked to Kirb, her husband, that I also had a class or so with in school! I didn't even know they had married. He was so nice and told me he would have her call me when she got home. She called later that night and I bet we talked for an hour and half non stop!!! Just as if we took off where we left off! Like that many years hadn't gone by......we talked about how silly we were to let that come between the friendship. We laughed when she reminded me of the time my Dad had to take us all to a Deep Purple concert, and how appalled he was at "all the long haired freaks" and then to top it off I forgot to wear my shoes!!!! He was happy then!

I also was saddened to learn that Sara Jane has MS. We talked about it for a good while. I was amazed at how upbeat she was.....she walks over two miles a day......and she looked so pretty in the pictures she sent me......I would never have known. She is a Red Hat Lady! She makes fabulous hats! One day a big package came and inside was a hat that she made for me!!! I will have to post a pic of it in the near future! I was so touched and told her that I would make a collage for her. This was the one I made for Sara Jane, she sent me the cardinals that are in the collage, hoping that I could somehow use them in it. She wanted the collage to say "I am not afraid, I was born for this"......a famous Joan of Arc quote. She's quite a lady!

Hugs!!
Shelly

7 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Shelly, this is a wonderful post! There's an old saying that says, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver the other is gold." You hit the jackpot! What a lovely and true friendship! The collage is wonderful. I'm sure Sara Jane will love it! Hugs, Terri xoxo

BlueRidgeLady said...

Thanks Terri!!! I love that saying and believe it with all my heart. I think we were meant to cross paths again :D Thank you so much, I sure had fun creating it for her!
Glad to see you!!! Hugs!

Jennifer Williams "Blueskysunburn" said...

Hey Chickie,

I have an award for you on my blog.

Jennifer Williams "Blueskysunburn" said...

Isn't it weird how some people just seem like they were meant to be connected? I'm glad to hear you two were able to connect again. It sounds like another beginning of a great friendship.

BlueRidgeLady said...

Thanks Jennifer, that is so true! I sure appreciate the amazing award too!!! I love your blog!

Janny said...

Great piece of work! Love the story;o)

BlueRidgeLady said...

Thanks Janny! Good to see you! Glad you stopped by =)