Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Love Is


I had so much fun with this collage, because I just love Valentines Day! It is one of my favorite holidays. Some of the images from Nancy Baumiller for the Crowabout group, Martini girl is from Suzee Que, and many of the images are cut out scraps from magazines. I have been finding lots of good stuff in these magazines, and I started a letter box, to use for lettering in my collages. Boy, that's a tedious task!! I will be somewhere like a doctors office or waiting to get the oil changed in my car, and I will see all these magazines and I find myself not even reading them, just looking at the pictures to see if they would make good collage images, and then what if I think they would? Well, I might just have to ask if I can clip! Then here they come saying my car is ready, and I didn't even get to finish looking at the magazines!!!! Imagine that! Shame on them for being so efficient!

I joined Net Flix and have been watching the HBO Series #1 Ladies Detective Agency! I am LOVING it! It takes place in Africa, so the scenery is awesome, and so are all the characters! I am now waiting on the 3rd part, and for now that is all they have....I sure hope the series will continue, I'm hooked now!

It's been milder here on the mountain for the past couple of days, today the rain is coming. I am getting SPRING fever here, waiting and waiting to see a glimpse of something new coming up! Always hard this time of year waiting on Spring, guess I just need to keep busy making more collages and jewelry! Bye for now....see you again soon!!

8 comments:

Diane said...

Wow, I would love to receive a Valentine's card like this--I'm so attracted to this type of collage. I love what you said about the magazines in the Dr.'s office--hmmm, something to think about :)

Terri Kahrs said...

Uhh-Ohhh!!!! Sound like you've got "collage fever", Miss Shelly! I, too, am looking at magazines in a whole different light! LOL!

I LOVE this Valentine collage - especially Miss Martini Girl and the cute little Kewpie. (I have a thing for them!)

Thanks for making me 'smile'!!! Hope you're doing OK, and 'hanging in'. You're in my prayers! Hugs, Love & Blessings, Terri xoxo

Susan said...

I love it, of course. Is a letter box, cut outs of words or letters? and...do you paint your background or use papers. I'm currently painting mine, but they seems a bit boring. Oh, and your borders are always fantastic...and what kinds of pens do you use...and, and. Sorry, it's just that I love your collages so much and mine just don't compare at all to yours. Sigh. xoxo Susan

BlueRidgeLady said...

Thank you all so much for such kind comments, I love it when ya'll stop by! Susan, I'm loving your collages lately!! I do my backgrounds in different ways, I paint them alot of times, I might use a couple of different colors, sometimes I sponge on a different color on top of a base color, but latelyyyy I have been doing a technique Ilearned from Nancy Baumiller in a collage class I took from her online. It's the funnest thing! I went out and bought some water soluable artist crayons, those Caron something...Neo II's? Do you know the ones? I ordered them I guess from Dick Blick- they always carry that brand...it was like a set of 12. Anyway, I always use 8 1/2 by 11 cardstock, and you take the crayons and pick a couple of colors you like and just scribble or make circles on the page or you might use one color around the outer part and then another in the center- whatever you want. THEN come the fun part!!! Get a baby wipe and start swirling around and blending it in, I usually use a wipe with one color, then another for the other color, it then sorta seeps into the paper. Soooo easy and no mess like you have with paint. You can still add paint later to give it another look, or if you want a certain color that you don't have in the crayons. I do that first then work on borders. I've always wished I knew how to layer my collages like so many people do, I've tried it but end up covering up with images anyhow....as for pens, I have many that don't work well on that finish, or they dry up in like two days..I have pretty good luck with Sakura pens, Michaels sells them, and recently I just bought a couple of the Copic pens, they seem to write over anything, but wish I could find them in a different point, for a variety. You probably have some of them. For outlining and writing, I have good luck with this Uniball ultra fine pen in black, or just a regular black pen. I hope this helps a little! Let me know how you like the background idea!

BlueRidgeLady said...

Oh yea, the letter is just a box with dividers in it- I use like a bead box...then just cut out letters of different shapes and sizes to use for words in your collages, if you go to Terri's beautiful blog above, you will see a post about her letter box, and ohhhh it was so funny reading about it!!

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Loving Valentines Day as one of your favorite holidays Shelly it proves your great heart and loving feelings for everybody. You are a great personality my dear friend. Hugs.

Janny said...

OH it's really fabulous!

BlueRidgeLady said...

Aww thank you Philip!! You are so kind! Thank you Janny!! I just visited your blog and saw your pretty collage!