Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spring In The Country


Created for Collage Play With Crowabout on Flickr. Thanks to Nancy Baumiller for some really great images this week!!

Not much going on around here, just working on art and jewelry! Two of my favorite things to do! They say we may get more snow tomorrow....no, no no!!! I have been reading garden magazines and making out wish lists for plants I want. Looking at container combinations for all my pots...I do this every year and have the most wonderful ideas in mind, then I go to the nursery and they don't have the plants I need to do the container I envisioned, so then it turns out not to be the container I thought it was going to be after all. But I always come up with something. One shrub I want this year is a "Quickfire" Hydrangea...Molly, my sister has one, and I remember seeing it blooming its head off in her yard last year. It was just beautiful. She has it planted in a corner against her house. It really stands out against the color of the house. Her yard is absolutely beautiful and I swear one of these days I am going to post some pictures of her yard! I believe that the Quickfire is a Paniculata Hydrangea, which are my favorites. I love the shape of the bloom and the fact that they can take more sun than the other types of Hydrangea's. One of my favorite shrubs I have is the Viburnum "Judii". If you don't have one of these, I think you should go right out and get one! They bloom early in the spring and have the most beautiful scent!! The list goes on and on ....I will save the rest for another time! Enjoy your evening, stay warm and I'll see you all soon!!

11 comments:

TonyaA said...

Great work as always! Good luck on the garden ;)

PiecesofD said...

Lovely piece... We can garden here (Florida) all year... but we rent for now so I just have potted plants. I hope you get the ones you want this year... but if you don't I'm sure your containers are beautiful anyway.

Kathy said...

Beautiful, beautiful background with such delicate shading and lovely, mellow shades of spring: leaf green, persimmon, daffodil, and hyacinth. Be gone, Dark Winter, so Shelly can work her magic in her garden!

Michele said...

Just beyond cool. I really really like this one!

I know what you mean about the garden. I'm wishful thinking too. I live in the shade in the mountains, so a lot of the pretty flowers I want I can't have. Still I do what I can, and cannot wait for spring when we get some sun. :)

Heavens2Betsy said...

Love this piece. It is very imaginative and engaging. Beautiful work.

Diane said...

I love this Spring piece--I love the way you do your borders. We have a winter storm warning for Thursday :(

Susan said...

I really like the background on this piece. Did you draw it yourself? I also love it when you post pictures of your art on your blog and the animated snowflakes float around it. Beautiful. I always think of snow when I see your blog. Maybe THAT's why we have had so much snow. Love it as usual. xoxo Susan

Rosie said...

I always enjoy your response to Nancy's sheets! You have such a way with colour - your collages are wonderful!

BlueRidgeLady said...

Thank you all for your sweet sweet comments! Diane, I thought we escaped getting more snow, thought it would come earlier- guess what? It's snowing! Hope it won't amount to much.
Susan, thank you! Well so glad you are enjoying the snow flakes! I added them at Christmas but can't bear to part with them!! I may keep them year round! I have said that kiddingly about my Christmas tree before! Seems like I finally get it up, then finally get it down and put up and by the time I turn around it's time to put it up again!!! How did I get on this subject?? Ohhh..well I should have spoken more earlier about the technique of the collage...the background was included in some of the images for the weeks challenge. I enlarged it and pasted on the borders, and then still have the image of the lady giving the kid a bath and others....I was really stuck. Nothing made any sense, I almost didn't play this week. I put it down and came back to it later. I decided I had to make it an outside extravaganza, I knew the only way to make it different from the others was to draw it.....I just drew the grass and colored it in with a copic marker, then used my water soluable crayons and colored pencils to do the sky. Then drew the tree in. I decided it was a weeping cherry tree!! Thanks for looking everyone!!

PiecesofD said...

Yes African Rooibos Tea is Red Bush tea. There is also an African Honey Bush tea which is lighter in color and sweeter. Enjoy!

BlueRidgeLady said...

Awww thank you!!! Yes! I saw the Honey Bush Tea tooo! I will have to try them :D Wish I had a cup right now! Thanks for letting me know :D