Thursday, March 25, 2010

An Award


I got this awesome award from my friend Linda. Thank you Linda! Stop by and visit her blog here to see these cool stampscape cards she makes, really beautiful!!

I must tell you 7 things about me you may not know:

1. I am terrified of spiders, snakes, locust and big fat palmetto bugs.

2. I love to go to flea markets and antique stores and browse through everything. You never know what you are going to find! I wish I could do it all day, everyday. Just the other day I found a pretty Fostoria-ish looking votive jar, a foot stool for $5.00, that all I have to do is recover, this cool diamond shaped iron scrolly sconce, to hang somewhere....some peacock feathers, of course, but the prize item was a wooden cart with 6 drawers and wheels on it! So now when I am collaging in the living room and have to do a quick clean up, into the cart everything goes and rolls away!

3. I was born in Orlando, FL, where I lived until I was about 11 or 12. My Dad was transferred to Tampa, we lived there for 5 years. Then he was transferred again to Atlanta, and I have lived in Georgia ever since.

4. I love to play games with my family. My husband isn't much of a gamer, but he is entertained by us when we play! We have game nights from time to time. We have some classic memories of our game night escapades.... my daughters Alyssa and Kathryn would probably love to describe the time I fell onto the floor playing Guesstures, while I was trying to get them to guess the word "Slide"....looks like I did a pretty good job of telling it NOW. Some of the escapades I won't go into right now, but they involve laughing really really hard, and that's all I have to say about that! Some of our favorites games seem to be Dominos, Taboo, Scattergories, and Guesstures.

5. I have always had this desire for my husband and I to pack a suitcase, get in the car, and just drive.... drive across the country. Taking our time to stop and see different towns and cities. Staying as long as we want, eating good food, taking lots of pictures...just enjoying ourselves. Then, when we finally do decide to come home, we will come home a completely different way, to see new places again!

6. When the weather is nice, I would rather be outside in the yard. I know most of ya'll already know this about me... I think I got my love of gardening from my Grandfather, Bobdaddy. Bobdaddy worked for a fertilizer company, Howard Fertilizer Company in Orlando, Fl. (I am distantly kind of related to Traylor Howard- the actress on Monk?) I will have to explain this one later, and not sure I understand it completely either)...his job was to drive the orange groves and inspect the trees for disease or insect problems. He always had such a beautiful yard and such a way with plants. I will always remember the row of gardenias he had in front of the house, that smelled so wonderful on those summer days coming through the windows. I will always remember the Jasmine bush he had in the middle of the yard, that was pruned into a cone shape with ivy growing around it in a perfect circle. I will always remember the roses he had by the entrance way into to house, and the sunflowers he had on the side yard that towered over him. The way he always went out into the yard and picked oranges and made ambrosia....and the absolute best tomatoes I have ever had in my life. He died when he was 82. Still worked in his yard, accepting no help from anyone, until right before he died. I will post a story his neighbor wrote about him and read at his funeral another time. That story will tell you all about Bobdaddy.

7. I can't sleep in the bed if the sheets are all messed up, and coming out from under the mattress at the bottom, ask my husband!!

And I thought I wouldn't have much to say! Hope you all have a good night!

5 comments:

Dianne said...

I loved your recollections of you Bobdaddy. What is it about southern families and there names? We called my grandfather Pop Roger and my grandmother Momma Dot (only we couldn't say it right so it was Mubba Dot). My other grandmother's given name was Nanny Sue... honest. My family is from Georgia, I'm the only one born in Florida... Tampa... have lived there or near there all my life. It's very nice to learn about my new blog friends.

BlueRidgeLady said...

Hey Dianne! I loved reading about your Grandparents and their names! Love them!! My Grandmother, Bobdaddy's wife, was named Maude Alice...isn't that the coolest name!?? You will never guess what we called her..."Money" and she was the sweetest thing! Her Mom was "Mammy" and Bobdaddy's Mom was "Nunnie" so we had Money, Mammy and Nunnie!! LOL!! My Grandmother on my Dad's side was a Dot (Dorothy) too! She was "Grandmama" to us. It's so fun hearing about your familiy. I lived on Davis Island when we lived in Tampa. Went to Plant High School. Loved it there, and my Mom and Brother still live in the Orlando area, Mom is in Geneva, outside of Tampa. So nice hearing from you!

Terri Kahrs said...

LOVED hearing more about you and your family, Shelly! Ohhhh, what wonderful memories of your GrandDaddy and his fabulous garden! I have similar memories of my Gramdmother, who was my dearest Baba! Ohhhhh, how I miss her! And she gardened up to the end of her life too. She was in her 80's and would do "a little bit here and a little bit there"! Have a super weekend! Hugs & Love, Terri xoxo

BlueRidgeLady said...

Baba! I love her name Terri! You must have gotten your love of gardening from her! You and I love to dig in the dirt don't we? Well, in my case, the clay! I sure hope that I am one of those white haired 80 year old ladies working in my garden!! You have a good weekend too my friend!! xoxoxox

Phivos Nicolaides said...

We thank your friend Linda for the award you deserve and because we learned so many things about you Shelly!!