Monday, March 15, 2010

Princess & the Frog and an Art Journal Page



Created for Crowabout, stained glass window from Dover Publications and an Art Journal page...might be a little hard to read. I was talking about how I was trying out some Golden Gel Medium that I went all over town trying to find one day. I have watched several videos of artist using it, I think I need to go back and watch them again, I don't really understand it all. I get using it for gluing down images..but that's all I really do understand about it. How do you all use it in your work?
I saw one video where she used it on an image and then pulled them image up and the image was transferred to the paper. That's kinda what I wanted to do but it didn't work...don't know if I didn't let it dry long enough or what. Oh so, I was writing about that and then how I was so engrossed in the journal page that I forgot to put my pork roast in the crockpot. I did it anyway...I rubbed fresh garlic all over it and cut up onion and put it in the crockpot with some sauerkraut over the top of it, and seasoned it with onion powder, salt and pepper. We ended up eating something else last night and tonight we are having it!! We will also have collard greens and black-eyed peas. This is usually our New Year's Eve meal, but it's a favorite of ours and I was in the mood for it again! I thought the SUN was supposed to come out today...NOT!! I'm thinking I probably need to boost up on the vitamin D supplements or something....well, maybe tomorrow! Enjoy your day!

8 comments:

Terri Kahrs said...

Love that pretty princess and her little frog too, Shelly! You always make magic with the Crowabout images! Awesome journal page too! We've been having a ton of gray days too. I can't wait to see that big, bright yellow ball in a blue sky! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Marit said...

No sun (or spring) in Holland either.. so I enjoyed your colourful pages! They are good "second" sunshine!!! Thanks!

Janny said...

So Elegant, beautiful Shelly!

Susan said...

I have never understood the appeal of gel medium. To me it is just goopy glue. For a gel transfer, you have to use lots of layers, on top of the image and they have to dry completely between each layer. I like to paint it on one direction and let that dry and then paint it on in another direction for the next layer letting it dry between each. For mine it took at least five layers and possible more before soaking the image to remove the paper. I get better results with clear contact paper, but its fun to figure it out and find out what works best for a particular project. Stay warm and keep reaching for the sun.

Phivos Nicolaides said...

Both are very beautiful Shelly! Hugs.

Marit said...

Oh, forgot to tell you about the gel medium... I use it all the time! I use it together with sprayed tissue paper (have a lesson in my workshop about it) and I use it to transfer pics onto cloth/other paper too. There are some posts on my blog about this technique, the first one with a link to a tutorial is here:

http://www.maritscrapworld.com/blog/?p=7278

(But I did it a bit different then in the tutorial, so read my post and if you have questions, shoot me an e-mail)

BlueRidgeLady said...

Thanks everybody for comin by!!So glad to see you all!! Susan and Marit, I sure appreciate your input on the GEL MEDIUM, I will get by your site when I can Marit to check it out, thanks!! Going to work in my yard today!!!! It's going to be a pretty day and about 65 degrees! Hope you all have a good one :D

ellsworth said...

I have just discovered your beautiful work. I've been dithering about art journaling for years. Gel medium and all those techniques scare me but your work has a wonderful palette and soul. I write children's books and am a scrapbooker. Maybe it's time to crack open my own tin of Neo Crayons... Candice
http://candice_ransom.livejournal.com